Cabinet Corner: I’ve Heard that LMU is Becoming a National University

Cabinet Corner is a periodic feature of LMU This Week where the university’s executive leaders share their perspectives with the community. The President’s Cabinet will provide updates on initiatives, policies, events, challenges, and areas of interest.

Tom Poon, executive vice president and provost, writes: I have been having discussions with various campus constituencies about LMU’s place in the national constellation of colleges and universities. LMU is classified as an M1 regional university by the Carnegie Foundation, which becomes the basis for other rankings, particularly the No. 3 ranking in the West region on U.S. News & World Report’s 2019 list, a spot the university has held for several years.

Most folks I’ve had discussions with don’t know how a Carnegie classification is determined and what it means to be a regional or national university. I have put together a video of a PowerPoint presentation that explains the Carnegie Foundation’s classification criteria, LMU’s history with the foundation, and some challenges and opportunities associated with a change in LMU’s classification. The video also directs viewers to the most recent proposed updates by the Carnegie Foundation.

2018 10 12 09 18 04 - Cabinet Corner: I’ve Heard that LMU is Becoming a National University

logo-instagram