ACADEMICS | This year’s New Faculty Orientation three-day event features presentations by President Timothy Law Snyder, Ph.D., and other academic and student affairs leaders. On the third day, a resource fair introduces new faculty members to the myriad services and support available to them at LMU.
“The new faculty members come with a breadth of disciplinary experience and diversity,” said Provost Tom Poon, who will also make a presentation on the first day. “Please join me in welcoming them to our community and sharing your excitement for the new academic year.”
This year 28 new tenure-line faculty and 27 visiting and clinical faculty are joining LMU. Their biographies can be found here.
“Faculty and staff colleagues from across campus have come together to create the New Faculty Orientation program,” said Associate Provost Kat Weaver. “We are all looking forward to welcoming our new colleagues to campus.”
The first day of orientation focuses on the who and what of LMU: the university’s place in Catholic higher education; who LMU students are and strategies for engaging them; and how LMU supports our students.
The second day is devoted to teaching: the challenges and strategies of teaching college students; a look at e-learning; teaching panels; a workshop on bias in the classroom; and a visit to the William H. Hannon Library.
The third day looks at emergency preparedness, discriminatory harassment awareness, and then lunch with the deans. After lunch, the resource fair will be held in Lawton Plaza. Nearby, in the lobby of the Hilton Center for Business, the university photographer will also set up shop to take pictures of all the new faculty. Current faculty who want an updated headshot are also welcome to drop by.
The following are services and support on display at the resource fair:
- Academic Resource Center
- Burns Recreation Center
- Career and Professional Development
- Center for Ignatian Spirituality
- Center for Service and Action
- Center for Teaching Excellence
- Classroom and Creative Services
- Classroom Support
- CSJ Center for Reconciliation and Justice
- Disability Support Services
- Ethnic and Intercultural Services
- Faculty and Staff LGBT Network
- Faculty Housing Program
- Human Resources
- Junior Faculty Seminar
- Laband Art Gallery
- LMU Children’s Center
- Marketing and Communications
- Office for Research and Sponsored Projects
- Office of Intercultural Affairs
- Office of Mission and Ministry
- Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Experience
- Parking and Transportation
- Public Safety
- Study Abroad
- William H. Hannon Library