Welcome Back – Fall 2018

Dear Members of the LMU Community:

As I contemplate the start of the academic year, I am struck by the multitude of people, places, and things I am thankful for at LMU … a welcoming community that embodies our university’s mission; creative and collaborative executive leadership colleagues; our talented team of professionals from academic affairs, student affairs, and enrollment management; and outstanding students and dedicated faculty whose excellence was recently recognized by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honor society.

I am especially appreciative of our faculty colleagues who, during the past year, were either advanced to tenure, promoted in rank, or both. Their accomplishments are inspirational and their contributions position LMU as a world-class institution. Please join me in congratulating them. I encourage you to visit their LMU online profiles to learn more: Li Dai (Management); Saeri Dobson (Art and Art History); Paige Edley (Communication Studies); Fernando Estrada (Educational Support Services); Christopher Finlay (Communication Studies); Emily Fisher (Educational Support Services); José García-Moreno (Animation); Brett Hoover (Theological Studies); Velitchka Kaltcheva (Marketing and Business Law); Jeremy McCallum (Chemistry and Biochemistry); Kevin McDonald (History); Robbie Nakatsu (Finance and Computer Information Systems); Jonathan Rothchild (Theological Studies); Caroline Sauvage (Classics and Archaeology); Erin Stackle (Philosophy); Leon Wiebers (Theatre Arts and Dance).

I am also thankful for the possibilities in innovation and interdisciplinarity created by our new LMU Playa Vista Campus, the home of SFTV’s graduate programs and our Executive MBA program, and for a new season of LMU Athletics – Go Lions! I encourage you to reflect on your own appreciation for LMU and to use it to fuel your excitement for the new academic year.

Before closing, I draw your attention to two important fall semester events. The first is the Mass of the Holy Spirit at noon on Thursday, Sept. 13, in Sacred Heart Chapel. This inspiring liturgy is one of our most important fall semester gatherings. The second is President Snyder’s convocation on Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 11:30 a.m. in Sacred Heart Chapel. Please look for further announcements regarding these events and accept my best wishes for a fulfilling and productive year.

Sincerely,

ThomasPoonSignature 300x78 - Welcome Back - Fall 2018

Thomas Poon, Ph.D.
Executive Vice President and Provost

logo-instagram