Cause for Canonization of Pedro Arrupe, S.J. Opens Today in Rome

Pedro Arrupe portrait001 207x300 - Cause for Canonization of Pedro Arrupe, S.J. Opens Today in Rome
Pedro Arrupe, S.J., the 28th superior general of the Society of Jesus

MISSION AND MINISTRY | The cause for the beatification and canonization of Pedro Arrupe, S.J., the 28th superior general of the Society of Jesus, who served from 1965 to 1983 and put into words the guiding mission of a Jesuit education, opens Feb. 5, 2019, in Rome.

Father Arrupe’s life, ministry and faith-witness will be remembered at Masses celebrated at 7:30 a.m. and at noon in the Leavey Chapel. He lived from 1907-1991, and Feb. 5 marks the 28th anniversary of his death.

Father Arrupe’s commitment to justice led him to establish the Jesuit Refugee Service, a prophetic act, whose relevance is so visible today. Moreover, his belief in justice informed his understanding of the goal of Jesuit education: “to form men and women for others; men and women who will live not for themselves but for God and his Christ – for the God-man who lived and died for all the world; men and women who cannot even conceive of love of God which does not include love for the least of their neighbors; men and women completely convinced that love of God which does not issue in justice for others is a farce.” The full address can be read here.

Let us continue to pray with and for Father Arrupe as his cause for beatification and canonization begins:

“More than ever I find myself in the hands of God.
This is what I have wanted all my life, from my youth.
But now there is a difference; the initiative is entirely with God.
It is indeed a profound spiritual experience
to know and feel myself so totally in God’s hands.”

Merciful God, You gave Father Arrupe your deep
love which he shared with everyone his life touched.
If it is Your will, glorify him on earth so that many
will be Persons for Others sharing Your love.
That others will lovingly accept Your divine plan,
I ask You to hear this prayer…..

Amen

logo-instagram