DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY | Loyola Marymount University’s emergency alert system is moving to the industry-leading Rave Mobile Safety, with the corresponding Rave Guardian app available for download by students, staff, and faculty, the Department of Public Safety announced.
“Many universities comparable to LMU have adopted the Rave platform, due to its reputation in the industry for being one of the most-advanced emergency alert systems,” said Allison Bright, director of emergency management. “We are always looking to stay on the forefront of safety technology for the security of our campus community, so Rave was a perfect fit for LMU.”
While LMU Alert will continue to function as before, the Rave Guardian mobile app will replace LiveSafe. The suite of tools on the new app includes many new features beyond previous capabilities, including:
- Text with Public Safety: If you feel endangered or want to discreetly report suspicious activity, abuse of drugs or alcohol, or other disturbances, you may text directly with DPS through the app;
- “Watch Me Walk”: Walking home late at night? Designate a friend or family member to watch your progress home, for an extra layer of safety. You can also set timers to alert them if you are late arriving at your destination;
- Key LMU Resources at Your Fingertips: Quickly access campus maps and important contacts such as LMU CARES, Parking and Transportation, Facilities Management and more;
- Stay Informed: Receive emergency push notifications.
LMU guests, including Athletics and event attendees, and parents of current students, can now register for LMU Alerts via SMS code. Those wishing to receive alerts can send the code word LMUlions to 226-787. They will receive emergency alerts on their mobile device, and may opt out at any time.
In preparation for the Aug. 20, 2019, launch of Rave and Rave Guardian, all faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to:
- Confirm that your emergency contact information listed in the Staff Portal is correct. Under the Employee Self Service menu, select LMU Alert. To make changes, click “update,” “next,” then “submit.”
- With the launch, additional selections will be available in the Staff Portal including the ability to select English or one of 6 languages for LMU Alerts through text and email. As well as the ability opt in to receive alerts for the Loyola Law School Campus.
- Download the Rave Guardian app in the Apple or Google Play store. Once downloaded, enter your phone number and the verification code you receive. You’ll be automatically synced with LMU’s customized dashboard.
The Aug. 20 launch date is for the Westchester and Playa Vista campuses only with LMU Loyola Law School launching at a later date. The Rave Guardian app is also only available on the Westchester and Playa Vista campuses at this time. Rave Mobile Safety helps protect more than 1,200 colleges and universities across the U.S. For questions about Rave or Rave Guardian, contact Allison Bright.